SAVE the DATEs: 2014 North to South New Mexico Pollinator Benefit Lecture Series
sponsored by the Rocky Mountain Survivor Queen Bee Cooperative
ONLINE REGISTRATION COMING SOON!
- May 2-3, 2014: Northern NM Sweet Spring Sting Pollinator Symposium featuring: Dr. Tom Seeley- renowned Conservation Biologist from Cornell University & author of Honeybee Democracy will be visiting NM.
Dr. Seeley will be speaking on Saturday, May 3rd in the Great Hall on the beautiful campus of St. John’s College (my alma mater!) and also on Sunday, May 4th on the equally gorgeous SMU-Taos campus on Hwy 518.
Also included on the agenda is a special screening of “The Art of Mayordomia” on acequia ancient water way traditions in northern NM. Dr. Seeley’s lecture will weave a tapestry of philosophic proportions on the integral connection of habitat to feral hives and how honeybees portray a collective “sixth sense” he terms Swarm Intelligence utilizing democratic measures to come to a consensus; from individual to group decision making.
Sunday’s presentation will include a guided nature walk by Dr. Seeley on the SMU-Taos campus through a riparian strip of the Rio Grande del Rancho stream as it makes its way down the mountains.
There will be unique and pertinent information on pollinator stewardship issues and ways communities and their members can assist- It takes a community to raise bees!
Additional Guest Lecturers visiting this spring 2014:
- May 23-25, 2014: Dr. Juliana Posada- Rangel, President of the American Association of Professional Apiculturists & The American Bee Research Conference from Texas A&M. She will be sharing information on her queen honeybee research Friday, May 23, 2014 at the NMSU-Alcalde Sustainable Agriculture Research Farm & Center and on Sunday, May 25, 2014 at the Alamogordo Extension Office.
- June 6-8, 2014: Dr. Wyatt Mangum, Top Bar Beekeeping Columnist for American Bee Journal, Professor of Mathematics at the University of Mary Washington, and author of “Top-Bar Hive Beekeeping: Wisdom and Pleasure Combined”.
- Dr. Mangum will be speaking on Saturday, June 7th at Tapetes de Lana in Mora. Right across the street, Mora Valley Apiaries will be hosting a hands on workshop with Dr. Mangum after his lecture on top bar management and queen rearing in top bars.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION OPENING SOON!
- See attached flyer for additional details.
*Sponsored by The Rocky Mountain Survivor Queenbee Cooperative & The New Mexico Department of Agriculture.
The RMSQB Cooperative is an educational based service organization with the mission to promote Building Capacity and Research through Professional Development Opportunities, Rural Development & Entrepreneurship, Sustainable Beekeeping & Honeybee Stock Improvement Programs, Native & Alternative Pollinators & Apitherapy (medicinal use of bee products). All community members are invited and encouraged to participate in mindful pollinator stewardship. Que Viva Las Abejas!